Eight to the Bar: Not Here, Not Now
GreenMan Theatre Troupe is celebrating its sixteenth year as Elmhurst, Illinois’ community theater. From classics (Macbeth) to musicals (Urinetown) to dinner theater mysteries (Cheers to You, Kid!) to out-of-the-box choices (Monstrous Regiment) to popular plays (Born Yesterday), GreenMan’s track record is impressive and consistent. http://www.greenmantheatre.org
Up to eight directors are needed for this production of eight 10 minute plays. It is community theater; there is no pay.
Why should you apply to direct?
1. Community theater directors: this is a chance to have fun, with a minimal time commitment. Also, if you decide to apply for a mainstage show at GreenMan, this will serve to familiarize GreenMan with your abilities, and to familiarize you with GreenMan’s creative atmosphere.
2. Aspiring directors: you’ve been involved in theater in a non-directorial area and now you want to give directing a shot? This would be a good way to dip a toe in the water. You do need to have some background in theater, either in acting or production. But we’re looking to give new directors an opportunity.
1. Directors should send a resume or, if you’re new at this, a short letter of intent, giving some of your theatre background and telling us why you think you’d be a good director. Send these to GreenMan10MP@comcast.net from March 20 through April 4, 2020.
2. Playwrights were asked to submit up to two 10 minute plays, using the prompt “Not Here, Not Now.” All entries have been received. The committee read them and selected 16 plays. Finalists have been selected as of March 19.
3. On April 7, Directors will be sent all 16 plays. You will then have until April 26 to list your top eight choices to direct, in order of preference. We’ll try to give you your first or second choice, but in the case of a tie, the committee will make the selection and you’ll have something else further down your list.
4. Playwrights who have submitted plays may also submit to direct. But – in the interests of diversity, you will not be selected to direct your own play.
5. Final running order of plays and directors will be announced May 11.
6. Auditions will be held June 21, 22, 23.
7. The show will be performed July 30, 31 & August 1, 2019 at Fitz’s Spare Keys in Elmhurst, Illinois. Directors must be available for all audition & performance dates, as well as all production week rehearsals.
If you have any questions, please direct them to GreenMan10MP@comcast.net.
We look forward to your application!